Saturday 23 April 2022

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Why can't they refund me?

Richard I need your help concerning my bank. Last month on the 28th I was trying to pay for my university but the payments were declined on the 3rd.

However 7 transactions which were adding up to P12,900 were deducted in my account making it negative as there were no money. I reported it to the Lobatse branch but only 3 transactions were reversed until today. It's almost month end and all my salary is going to be deducted due to these negatives. Please help I tried to call and recheck with them but they always say they are still in progress. What can I do?


Modern times have brought us great progress but it seems like dealing with other people's money hasn't moved forward at all. Many banks, insurance companies, in fact anyone who takes our money seem to think that once they have our money, it's theirs to do with as they please. That's even when they've taken it by mistake and haven't yet given it back.

Section 14 (1) of the Consumer Protection Act is very clear about the way suppliers must offer services. It says that when "a supplier undertakes to perform any services for or on behalf of a consumer, the consumer has a right to … performance of the services in a manner and quality that consumers are reasonably entitled to expect". You clearly had a right to get your money back promptly and with the minimum of fuss. That's just reasonable.

I contacted your bank and they responded quickly, saying that "all transactions have been reversed" and that they had "called the customer to confirm the same".

Maybe next time they can do it all by themselves without intervention from outside?

Will he fix the leak?

Hello Mr Richard Harriman I need your help. In 2019 when we started building at Gaborone North, we bought aluminium windows. These windows have been leaking water into the wall ever since 2019. We reported that to the owner of the company and he kept saying he will come. He only came January this year after I have shared photos of the damage. He did not complete the job and said he will come back till now.

I took more pictures on Monday 11 April after those prolonged rains and shared them with him on WhatsApp and tried to call him but he would not answer. He then sent a message saying he will call me but until today there has been no call, nothing. So I need your help sir. Our house is getting damaged further. I need him to fix his mess and to buy paint as well because that one is now damaged. Thank you.


Yet again, a supplier has decided to ignore the very simple rule included in the Consumer Protection Act that says that a supplier must offer service "in a manner and quality that consumers are reasonably entitled to expect". I expect, you expect, we all expect that when someone install windows, they shouldn't leak. I know, you know, we all know that we sometimes get incredibly heavy rains but I don't care. Brand new aluminium windows manufactured and installed by professionals don't leak.

We shouldn't really need to explain this to a professional, should we?

Update: I suggested to the reader that she should contact the supplier and say she'll be seeking an order from the Small Claims Court against him. She did so and then told me "I told him that he should give me feedback before the end of that day otherwise I'm taking the matter forward. He just blue ticked me and ignored me."

I'll contact him and explain what he needs to do. I'll also explain that his business is likely to suffer if this becomes a court matter. Does he want to protect his reputation or destroy it with his own lack of customer care?

No comments: