Saturday 16 April 2022

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Can I pay this way?

Sorry to contact you so late but am having a little problem with a service provider.

So I was due for assessment by a mine and after my assessment I was asked to redo my SHE policies. I then engaged a service provider that was referred to me by the assessor to have a look at my policies and advise of which she did not do instead she started working on the documents and sent them through to the assessor without me having a look at them.

The assessor then asked me to sign the documents so that they could be submitted was billed P10,000 for the said documents.

Now the service provider is bugging us for payment of which I have accepted that she did the work and will pay her but due to my current financial restraints I have asked to pay in instalments of P2,500 immediately and the balance by the end of April but they are refusing and claiming I should pay them immediately. Please kindly advise on what I should do as I had not given the go ahead for the new documents to be done but had only requested that they have a look at my old documents.

NB: I have accepted they have done the work but not under my instruction and am willing on paying but in 2 payments.


I don't think I have any good news for you. That because I don't think you're being very reasonable.

What has this service provider done wrong? They took your instructions and seem to have done the work as best they could. It's possible you weren't as clear as you should have been to them and the only mistake I think they can be accused of making is not fully understanding your needs.

Most importantly, it was never agreed that you could pay them in two instalments, was it? If they'd agreed that then yes, you could do that. But they didn't.

I understand your financial difficulties but is that their fault? I think the best thing you can do is your very best to pay them for the work they did for you.

Will I get my money back?

Rich, I am having a problem with a car company which imports cars and trucks from UK.

On the 20th October 2020 I made a payment for the purchase of a car from them. On the contract it was stated that delivery is within two months but up to now the car was never delivered. On several occasions I tried to enquire about the delivery and have not yet received a positive response. I was only told yesterday by the owner that the company is being liquidated. He said his lawyer are the ones processing the liquidation process.

I asked about my refund but nothing interesting was said. Please help me Rich. How am i going to get my refund.


More bad news. This is likely to be a difficult one to solve. Almost always a company is liquidated because it doesn't have the money needed to satisfy its obligations. They owe more money than they have. Very often a business like this can only survive by using the money they get from new customers to pay their debts to the earlier customers they've disappointed.

Given that lawyers are now involved I suggest that you write to the owner and their attorneys explaining what you are owed and attaching as much evidence as you can find. You should also demand that the attorneys inform you how they plan to settle their client's debts. Do this sooner rather than later so you improve your chances of getting something back. However, you should also prepare yourself for the worst. There might not even be a thebe left by now.

No comments: