Saturday 15 June 2019

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

STOP PRESS. Before this article was published in The Voice, the Bank of Botswana banned Global Dream Network. A pat on the back to BOB!




Should I join Global Dream Network?

So many people have asked us about this scheme. Most of them have seen invitations on Facebook to join the scheme and are curious. Can they really offer the profits they claim?

The ads on Facebook suggest that after paying a joining fee of R350, and then recruiting four levels of people beneath you, you’ll have “potential earnings” of R38,800. However, just a few moments of thought show that this is simply impossible. Where does the money come from? How does R350 increase over one hundred times?

GDN say that their business is "all about giving donation to another member and you shall receive donation in multiples" and that it’s “a Person to Person, Direct Funding and Crowd Sharing Platform”. That’s exactly what we heard from a range of previous pyramid and Ponzi schemes, a mysterious scheme in which you donate money and magically, a lot more money comes your way. It’s not difficult to see that it’s an impossible, unsustainable business model.

The truth is very simple and some of the people recruiting will be honest about it. The new money, the extra cash they say you’ll earn comes from the other people they want you to recruit. It also comes from the extra money you have to add as you go through the various levels.

I joined one of their WhatsApp conversations and asked the recruiter “To make money do I need to sell any products or just recruit other people” and was told “You recruit 2 people and teach ur two people to do the same”. She then confirmed to me that there are no actual products being bought or sold.

Section 9 of the 2018 Consumer Protection Act says that a pyramid scheme is “where participants in the scheme receive compensation derived primarily from their respective recruitment of other persons as participants”. That’s exactly how the people recruiting for GDN describe the scheme. It’s the definition of a pyramid scheme. No products, just recruitment of other people.

The bad news for anyone promoting or even joining a scheme like GDN is that the Consumer Protection Act will punish them with a fine of up to P100,000 and up to five years in prison. I suggest you ignore any invitations from Global Dream Network and don’t waste your time, effort and money. You might also escape a huge fine and time in jail!

They broke my iPad!

I took my iPad to a local store to purchase a protective case. I was assisted by one lady, who took the iPad from me and went underneath one of the counters to fit a cover. She resurfaced after several minutes to tell me that my screen has cracked. She told me she was trying to fit it into the case, pressed hard and it cracked.

The owner claimed that the screen I have fitted was a fake, that’s why it cracked so easily. He said he will not replace my screen with an original unless I verify that the screen is indeed original. He asked that I go to an Apple Center, using my time, energy and resources to get a verification report and that would be the only way forward with him. He refused to come with me, he refused to allow the lady who broke the iPad to come with me. Let me state that this iPad has never had a screen replacement, this is the screen it came with.

I went back to the store and left the iPad there telling the lady that I do not want it anymore. The owner kept yelling, telling me that my iPad is fake and is from China and that he demands to see a receipt before moving any further.

Is this right? Should I prove with a receipt that the iPad is original in order to be assisted? I’m clueless to what I should do next. Where do I go? Who do I see? The owner of the store is unreasonable and I just want my iPad back. These events left me livid and upset.


I can easily understand how upset you are. I would be just as upset in your situation. This owner is being completely unreasonable and has broken almost all of the Consumer Protection Regulations. I think it’s best if we contact him and explain in very simple terms that he should stop making excuses, face up to his responsibilities and act like he cares. Or does he want to be famous?

No comments: