Saturday 1 June 2019

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Where’s my laptop?

I need advice. My husband took our laptop to a certain man for fixing in December and now he is claiming that his friends or people he knows has it, He has said he will replace the laptop within 7 days which was the beginning of May and we are still waiting. There is no communication from him. Please help us. How best can we deal with this. We have his names from a copy of his ID but we do not know where he stays, Please advice.


I think this might be a matter for an organization with more power than us. I think this needs the services of our sisters and brothers in the blue uniforms. It needs the cops.

This “certain man” took your laptop for repair and for whatever reason he gave it to, or allowed it to be taken by some strangers, these “friends or people he knows”. Who they are and why they took your laptop doesn’t really matter, the simple fact is that this man took your property and gave it away to total strangers.

I suggest that you give this “certain man” an ultimatum. Tell him that he has fourteen days to either return your laptop, give you a replacement or give you the value of the device. Tell him that you will take legal action against him if he fails to do one of these things within the time you’ve allowed him. Make it clear that you’ve had enough of his excuses and that you demand a solution. Let him know that you mean business, that your patience is exhausted and that the time has come for him to fix this situation.

The other thing you should do is to send me his phone number. I think he and I need to have a conversation.

Should I take a refund?

I would like to seek guidance and assistance from your organization. I have placed an order with a shop named in Molapo crossing of which I was asked to pay deposit for my order to be processed after 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I call the shop I am told the following day until yesterday (which is 6 weeks after) I was given a different answer after I threatened the shop owner that am a consumer lawyer that's when am told that the material is finished to make the sleep wear and robe that I ordered. The unprofessionalism to communicate with clients by the shop is very appalling. I was hoping to support local but this lady seems to be a living off customers money. She gave me an option of a refund but I really wanted the products and am not sure she will return the money. Is there anyhow you can assist me? And please teach this shop customer service and consumer rights. I will be very grateful for your help.


I think you’ve been patient enough already. I think the time has come to walk away and learn the lesson that this company can’t be trusted to deliver the products they offer.

One of the most important lessons people in business need to learn is how to manage expectations. If you think it will take two weeks to deliver something then that should be true. It’s not complicated, it’s just about being open and honest with your customers. In fact, what’s even better is to exceed customer expectations and that’s actually quite an easy thing to do. It’s about telling “a good lie”. If you think it will take two weeks to deliver an item, tell your customer that it will take three weeks instead. That way, if you deliver it on time your customer will be delighted, thinking you’re the sort of person and company that beats deadlines. What’s more, if you run a little late you’ve already given yourself a breathing space and they’ll still be delighted that you were on time.

In your case your expectations have been totally mismanaged and I understand how frustrating that must be. My advice is simple. I think you should accept the offer of a refund but remind the store that Section 15 (1) (e) of the Consumer Protection Regulations says that when a deal is cancelled a refund should be paid “promptly”. It doesn’t say exactly what “promptly” means but it certainly isn’t six weeks.

No comments: