Friday 13 April 2018

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Do I have a case?

I need advice on whether I have a case or not? I bought a TV at last year March 17. By November it started developing faults with some lines across the screen and at times only half of it comes on when switched on. I called the store on the 3rd December to enquire on repairs and I was told I could not bring it in as technicians were going for holidays. I was told to come in January. I couldn't return it in January through March and only managed to see them on the 27th March. Now they say they can't help me since the warranty expired on the 17th March. I was asked to personally take the TV for repairs and bear all costs. My complaint is was it fair for them to refuse to take in my TV at a time when I was ready to bring it in and now refuse to help me? Shouldn't they at least meet me halfway on repair costs? Thanks in advance.

Did the store staff have too much to drink over the Christmas holiday?

No, I do NOT think they should meet you halfway. They should pay for everything.

I know you took too long in returning the TV, that was unfortunate, but that's not the important issue here. The thing that matters is that you told them about the fault in December, well within the warranty period. The fact that they then weren't sufficiently competent to have technicians available is what matters. I'm not saying that technicians can't go on holiday over Christmas but from as early as the 3rd December? That's just ridiculous. You had a right to expect that the store would have the resources available to attend to your problem within a reasonable period and with what Section 15 (1) (a) of the Consumer Protection Regulations refers to as "reasonable care and skill".

We'll get in touch with the store and see if they can understand this.

Is this loan legitimate?

Is it possible for you to verify the existence of company known as Liberty Financial Services code 2193 registration no 1999/063355/23?

I suspect that you're dealing with scammers. Let me guess. You received an unsolicited email from them or you saw an advertisement from them on Facebook? Did they tell you that you were eligible for "a loan of R10,000 to R10 million" at only 3% interest each year? If they emailed you, did the email come from a Gmail address?

The reason I'm making these guesses is that we've heard of this scam many times before.

The first clever thing about this scam is they're using the name "Liberty" and you probably know that there are various legitimate, trustworthy companies with that name. They're hoping you'll confuse the fake Liberty with the real ones.

The other clever part of it is that they're using the registration details of a genuine South African lender called Loancare Chain but that's just a cover story. They have no connection with the legitimate company at all. The truth is that no lender offers loans to total strangers who haven't approached them first. Real lenders don't offer enormous loans at only 3% interest per year.

In fact this is just the beginning of an advance fee scam. Sooner or later they'll require some form of payment from you in order to get the fictitious loan they say they're offering you. That's what the scam is all about, that "advance fee" that you pay them. if you do fall for it and pay them they'll just string you along with more and more demands for more money. This won't stop until you either wise up or run out of money.

I suggest that you delete any emails or messages you've had from them and ignore any that arrive in future.

No comments: