Wednesday 1 May 2013

The fake university industry is angry

I received an email from Google this evening. This is what it said. I've removed the boring bits.
"Blogger has been notified, according to the terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), that certain content in your blog is alleged to infringe upon the copyrights of others.
...
A bit of background: the DMCA is a United States copyright law that provides guidelines for online service provider liability in case of copyright infringement."
The post that someone has complained about relates to Salem Kureshi's Karachi-based Organization for Global Learning Education, the organisation that runs a large number of fake universities, including Ashwood, Belford, Corllins, Headway, McFord, MUST, Northern Port, OLWA, Panworld and Rochville "universities". All of these establishments are fakes.

Their claim is that by referring to text published on another web site I have somehow plagiarized someone else's content. That person calls himself "Billie Jeter" but I can find no trace of who this might be, other than the owner of a blog called FraudSchoolFinder who claims to have posted the original text on his blog in September 2010. His only blog post.

I deny this. Completely. 100%. I have only ever quoted a web site, not the one mentioned, and made a very clear reference to the web site I quoted. I haven't plagiarised anyone. However the web site that I quoted has now disappeared. So has my original post, despite Google saying that it would be reset to draft status, in fact it's been deleted.

I don't mind. That was just one post out of 885. The message stays the same though. Fake universities are fakes, just the people who buy fake qualifications from them.

No comments: