Saturday 5 June 2021

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Where has her money gone?

I'm writing this email in so much pain, On 5th February we realized that more than P20,000 was been stolen from my mum's bank account. she was receiving emails alerts. We immediately called the bank to let them know that money was been stolen and Mum didn't know where it was going and she has no stop order only for a furniture store and a bank loan.

So she did block her card and she pleaded with the customer service to stop the money from going out since it showed the transactions were not yet completed but they refused saying if they do that then they can be sued. She then went through all processes from reporting and filing a case with the fraud department and they assured her that they will investigate but nothing has been done till now. They keep changing their stories.

They first said she was paying some college in UK to buying from Ali Baba, now they saying she is doing forex exchange. But she doesn't know anything about Forex. She doesn't know anything about online banking nor online payments. They are lazy to do the investigations to see what really happened to her money and it doesn't look like they will refund her money.

As I type this she is taking high blood pressure pills. It hasn't been easy for her more so that the bank doesn't take her case serious. Please assist.


I'm sorry for your mother's troubles, it must be incredibly frustrating for her.

The first thing to do is to speak to the bank and insist they investigate what might be happening. They need to check whether your account has been compromised and to establish exactly when and how these payments were authorised. I've also contacted the bank to alert them. 

However, your Mum should also check whether she has somehow disclosed her banking details to someone. It's a difficult situation but I've heard many times about situations like this when it has been a family member or friend who has been abusing someone else's bank account. Does she know of anyone who has spoken about studying abroad, buying things from overseas or experimenting with forex? Maybe you can ask your family members if they've heard about this? I know it might be difficult, becoming the family detective, but it's better to discover if someone is betraying your mother's trust and taking her money.

Must I pay them?

Hi Richard, I hope you are well and safe. I would really appreciate your advice on a problem I am facing with a college I signed up for. I enrolled into a college that trains on the stock market. The program I signed up for was a three year access to their trainings and I paid P1,500 deposit and P450 monthly deposit which I am supposed to pay for the next 3 years. However I decided to cancel 5 months in because it was becoming a financial burden that was not worth it, considering their content depth was similar to most YouTubers that provide it for free. I wanted to cancel but they told me the only way to cancel is if I pay for the whole program.

To be honest I didn't read the contract but just wanted to know if this clause was a violation of my consumer right. I asked them if they could charge me a cancellation fee but they refused. I don't understand why I should pay for the whole 3 year program to get out of a contract. Would really appreciate any advice. Thank you.


Firstly, as I'm sure you know now, you should never sign any agreement you haven't read and fully understood. You should also never agree to anything that commits you to something for so long. Every contract you sign should also have some sort of cancellation clause.

Secondly, what sort of training establishment offers services no better than you can get for free on YouTube? The answer is simple. A lot of them. Some of you will remember Stock Market Direct, a company that claimed to offer training in trading stocks and shares as well as giving their paid subscribers tip and recommendations, all for a large monthly fee. We discovered very quickly that their training was no better than you could get from surfing the web and the same tips were available for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

The lessons are simple. Don't sign anything before you are certain you can commit to what the agreement says and do some research first. People who claim they can train you should really be experts.

No comments: