Saturday 1 June 2024

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Can I get my money back?

Good day sir. Can you please tell Ali Express to return my money I didn't buy anything from them. They are saying I did an online purchase but I didn't. They scammed me through a Facebook page saying they give loans. I applied and I gave them my details not knowing that is fake account. They asked for my ID no, bank card number and cell number and that's how I lost my money. It was a total of P4,100. I even went to the bank and they confirmed that my money to Ali Express.

So is there no how you can contact Ali Express and check these transactions? Maybe they will tell you the name of these scammers.


Unfortunately, I have bad news for you. You've been scammed. The worse news is that scammers don't offer refunds.

The next thing to understand is that Ali Express didn't steal your money. Scammers pretending to be Ali Express did that. Ali Express is a supplier of goods, not a microlender. The advertisement you saw was clearly posted by scammers who were just pretending to be them.

Something else you need to understand is there is nothing you can to get this money back. Your bank can't be held responsible because you voluntarily gave them your bank details. When we spoke you confirmed that you also gave them the CVV code, the 3-digit number printed on the back of your card that allows the scammers to use your cards as if they held it in their hands. The bank did nothing wrong. Also, Ali Express didn't do anything wrong. The scammers used your card and your bank account to buy things from Ali Express using a valid bank card.

Perhaps the only thing you can do is alert Ali Express and see if they can block the account that the scammers were using. However, they're very unlikely to give you any details about the scammers. The irony is that until they have a court order or a warrant from the local Police, the scammers deserve confidentiality.

The lesson here is very simple. If you give your bank card details to a stranger they will steal money from you. So please don't do it.

The second lesson is to block your card immediately.

Can't they exchange it?

I took a washing machine from a store at Gaborone Station on the 8th March and when I tried to use the machine it wasn't working. I tried to call the shop for assistance but they didn't do a follow up until I sent them an email that I no longer want the machine. I wanted them to cancel the contract but they didn't respond up until I got the number for the Area Manager and he straightly told me that it won't be possible to do an exchange. Right now it's been 2 weeks since they said they will assist. Yesterday I was contacted by the Head Office saying they are soon handing over my account because they feel I want to defraud them whilst their employees are the ones who are not competent enough to assist with cancelation of the goods I bought from them since they took the machine back and failed to return it.

I have talked to the call center personnel who told me it's possible to do an exchange but the shop doesn't take my calls nor respond to my emails.


This seems quite a simple situation but it's actually more complicated than we might think. When you buy things on hire purchase you don't have many choices. Firstly, the items you think you're buying, you're not really buying. You're hiring them. That's why it's called "hire" purchase. Secondly, you don't have a right to demand an exchange. The supplier can choose to do that, or they can choose to repair it instead. But I'll contact them and see if they can be a bit more helpful. I'll let you know what they say.

No comments: