Saturday 25 May 2024

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Where's my phone?

So I bought this iPhone 14 at The Fields Mall on 13th April. The problem is that it kept on showing some red lines. Even when I played some videos or tried to capture some photos it would at times turn red. I went back on the 28th to complain. They took it and said its the wallpaper, after changing it still it was showing the red lines. They took it and promised it would be fine the following day.

When I called on Monday 29th they said they were still attending to it. Tuesday 30th I called again telling them that I will be travelling to Serowe on the 1st May and that I should find it ready or else they should give me refund. They promised that it would be ready. I got there Wednesday around 12pm they said I should wait for 30 mins they are getting it from the technician at Block 3. I insisted on getting refund because I don't trust the quality of their phones they refused. I even left the store after an hour. I couldn't wait any longer because I was traveling with other people. The manager told me he can't give me refund.


I think this is quite simple. They claimed that the red lines on the phone were just the wallpaper? This store can't be trusted to give you advice. And now they're delaying fixing the screen? It looks like they can't be trusted to fix a phone.

I'll get in touch with them and see if they can try a little harder.

Update: They gave the reader a new phone.

He can't afford to pay!

Last June my father, who gets only govt pension as his source of income and does not have 3rd party insurance bumped a Mercedes and he acknowledged fault for that. The lady stated she will submit with her insurance and my father asked her to keep him updated which never happened. Then January 2024 my father received a letter of demand for P50,214 from the insurance company. We requested for proof of payment and it showed they had paid their client directly an amount of P45,214 and the extra 5k was admin fees. After numerous engagements and follow ups they agreed to reduce the debt by 15% down to P42,682. He indicated that he can commit to P200 per month but where he comes across larger sums he will pay and he should have paid in 3 years.

They stated that my father can attach some of his assets to pay his debt. We requested for another meeting to understand why they are asking for assets to be sold when my father has not refused to pay and has even said he will clear the debts in 36 months. This lady then started making threats that if we fail to reach an agreement they will engage their lawyers and whatever asset they find they will attach and have it sold.

Now we are shocked because we are not refusing to pay and all follow ups were from our end because we wanted this over and done with. Our shock now, when the debt acknowledgement comes with an annual interest of 18% which was not discussed during any of these meetings.

We seek further understanding on whether such a debt accumulates interest or are they taking my father for a ride.


I'm really sorry for your father's situation. However, I can't see an easy solution. The insurance company is entitled to claim their losses from your father because he was the one that caused the damage to their client's car. However, I can understand why they aren't prepared to accept his offer to pay just P200 per month. That will take almost 18 years to pay off the debt. His suggestion that he can also offer larger sums when he finds them isn't really very reassuring. Your father really needs to talk some more to the insurance company and see if there any assets he can sell because this debt isn't going away.

This is a very good example of why all drivers should have third-party insurance. It's remarkably cheap compared to the price of a car and can save people like your father from enormous bills like this.

No comments: