Wednesday 17 August 2011

We get email from a believer in quack AIDS cures

Following my post on the ludicrous Baariz "herbal" cure for AIDS I get a comment from a true believer. His comments are in red. (Yes, he did write it all in capital letters. I've removed his name, phone number and email address to protect the naive.)
"RICHARD,I AM VERY SUPPRISED AT YOUR ALLEGATIONS.I LIVE IN BAMENDA-CAMEROUN.MY AUNT WAS REJECTED FROM A HOSPITAL BECAUSE SHE WAS DYING OF AIDS.I HAVE GIVEN HER BAARIZ FOR 6WEEKS ONLY.SHE WALKS ,EATS ALONE,WASHES HER DRESSES, GOES TO STOOL ALONE AND HER FALLEN HAIRS HAVE GROWN BACK IN A WONDERFUL WAY. MY NUMBER IS [removed]. EMAIL-[removed].CALL ME.I AM READY TO TESTIFY HOW THRO THIS GOD HAS USED THE FOOLIH TO CONFOUND THE WISE.GOD IS GREAT"
Thanks for your feedback. So how exactly does this "cure" work? Where is the scientific evidence for it's efficacy?
"THANKS. I AM NO SCIENTIST.SCIENCE IN ITSELF IS NOT PERFECT.HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF SIDE EFFECTS OF COVENTIONAL DRUGS AND EVEN THE RESISTANCE TO SOME OF THEM/?IN CAMEROON THE BEST DRUG FOR TYPHOID IS A TRADITIONAL HERB THAT HAS NEVER BEEN TESTED IN ANY CLINICAL LABORATORY.AS AN EYE WITNESS I CAN TESTIFY THE MIRACLE THAT THIS DRUG HAS DONE TO MY AUNT.SCEPTICS SHOULD CONTINUE TO BE NEGATIVE,BUT I,MY FRIENDS AND RELATIVES ARE WILLING TO TESTIFY ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD AS FAR AS THIS DRUG IS CONCERNED. IT IS IOOO TIMES MORE EFFECTIVE THAN ARVS.SO THE BIG PHAMA COMPANIES SHOULD KEEP THEIR MOUTH SHUT."
So you confirm that there is no scientific evidence for your claims?
"THAT IS YOUR CONCERN AND NOT MINE.MY PATIENT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE NEGATIVE AND SHE IS NOW LIVING A NORMAL LIFE.HOPE U ARE NOT ONE OF THOSE WHO ARE BENEFITING FROM THE LARGESSE OF THE FALSE, AND SO CALLED BIG PHARMA COMPANIES.TEST OR NO TEST ;LET ME TELL U THAT,HEALING IS TAKING PLACE.BEGIN TO WAIT FOR YOUR SO CALLED CONFIRMATION."
"My patient"? Are you a doctor? In the absence of any genuine evidence that it works I'm sure you'll understand why I continue to maintain that Baariz is no more than dangerous sub-pseudoscientific nonsense?

P.S. Do you believe that typing in capital letters enhances your persuasive skills? It doesn't.

[A little background research has confirmed that he's NOT a doctor.]

No comments: