Sunday 22 March 2020

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Can’t he fix my CV?

I engaged someone who claims to do professional CVs and cover letters to do me a CV. He did the CV and I paid him P100 and P50 for the covering letter. A week later when I read through the CV I realised that it has a lot of errors which need to be corrected. He sent the CV on 28 Feb in pdf format which means I cannot make any changes. I requested to be corrected on the 3rd of March.

First I requested him to send it to me in Word format so I can edit then he said I should just copy it myself into Word but I was not able to do it from my side. I asked him to do the corrections and he said he cannot do that for free I have to pay. He is claiming that I could have raised that within 24hrs but those conditions were not stated at the beginning.

Worse enough he has now blocked me on WhatsApp. He is now being rude to me and even hanged up the phone on me yesterday.


The first lesson here is about CVs. Please don’t waste your money asking someone else to write your CV for you. Firstly, the sort of person who writes CVs is going to reproduce exactly the same as the one they did for their last client. That’s how they can afford to do it for just P100. The second reason is that people who are recruiting often see hundreds of CVs for every vacancy. The CVs they’re most likely to read are the ones that stand out, the ones that are different. You want your CV to be abnormal, to be different. Mass-produced CVs are boring and HR professionals get bored very easily. You can do better yourself.

Secondly, you chose the wrong person to do your CV for you. I saw the CV he did for you and it’s pathetic. I also had a LONG conversation with him and he was nasty. He simply doesn’t care about his obligations to you as a customer. He certainly doesn’t care about Section 14 (1) of the Consumer Protection Act which says that "where a supplier undertakes to perform any services for or on behalf of the consumer, the consumer has a right to ... the performance of the services in a manner and quality the consumers are reasonably entitled to expect".

In fact, he blamed it all on you, saying you took too long to notify him of the errors, and saying that it was too difficult to edit pdf documents. He also told me “I not familiar with all laws, consumer law.”

The best solution? Forget the P150, it’s gone and you paid for a valuable lesson about who you can trust. Also, check your email. I converted your pdf CV into Word format for you. It took about 5 minutes. Good luck with getting a job.

Where’s my forex money?

I had an agreement with a certain company for forex account management and up to today they seem to have neglected our contracts. I’m trying to follow up I'm realizing they are doing this to many many people and running away with people’s money. The moved from commerce park I'm not sure where they are right now.

Sadly the guy has been so arrogant. I want him to at least to return my principal amount.


Here’s a painful lesson for anyone tempted to trade foreign exchange. In fact, there are several lessons. Firstly, like Bitcoin, trading currencies is a loser’s game. When you buy and sell currencies, you’re competing against massive institutional investors who employ industry experts with supercomputers. What chance do you and I have against that? We might make small amounts if we invest a lot of time in developing some skills but, like gambling, the odds are stacked against us.

The second lesson is that the forex industry has much more than their fair share of crooks, liars and thieves. Obviously there ARE some honest, decent companies but they’re sometimes hard to find.

Unfortunately, the company you named privately is one I’ve heard of many times before. I think we both need to speak to NBFIRA, the Bank of Botswana and the new Competition and Consumer Authority to see who wants to help us close these crooks down.

No comments: