Friday 17 June 2016

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

When will it be repaired?

I had bought a laptop two years ago in June. It then crashed and I brought it back to the store in July 2015 so that they could fix it. I have been made to go back and forth concerning the fixing of my laptop!

Initially when i brought it there I was told it would be fine in 6 weeks. I kept calling and calling the technician guy asking him how far. He would always tell me to check at a later date. I then went to them in person in October telling them that I am suffering without a laptop. They then loaned me a laptop which was visibly not in a good condition. It had broken down and I went to them in person earlier this year letting them know that their loan laptop also broke down, I was told to just hold on to it until I get my laptop back. I keep calling asking for feedback and they still keep saying "I’ll give you feedback on Monday".

Its been almost a year now waiting to get my laptop back. I had bought an extended warranty for this laptop and it is about to elapse as well this month. So now here I am stuck with a loan machine that I do not even use and also having to call time and again for progress. Advise me what to do. The guy is also so rude towards me and I should assume that it is because I am young and so he does not take me seriously.

I am sick and tired of having to deal with these people who keep sending me back and forth. I also need my laptop back.


I think you have been patient enough. In fact, I think you’ve been far too patient. You shouldn’t have to wait for a year for your laptop to be repaired, that’s completely unacceptable.

The Consumer Protection Regulations are very clear that when you buy anything you are entitled to expect it to be “of merchantable quality” which is defined as “fit for the purposes for which commodities of that kind are usually purchased”. A computer should work normally for the period of its warranty, or any extended warranty that you might purchase. If something goes wrong within that period you are entitled to one of the three ‘R’s: a refund, a replacement or a repair. While it’s initially up to the store to decide which of those options they offer there comes a point when you have a right to demand action to fix the problem.

You could argue that the store has breached Section 15 (1) (a) of the Consumer Protection Regulations by not offering a service “with reasonable car and skill”. You could also argue that they have breached the extended warranty you purchased. Either way your argument must be that taking a year to repair a laptop is just ridiculous.

I’ll contact the store for you and see if they can’t offer you the quality of service you paid for.

Can I get her to pay?

I was involved in a car accident with one lady who was later charged and found to be in the wrong by the police. She had no money and I fixed my car but now she is refusing to pay.


I’m sure you’ll understand that it’s always very difficult to get money from someone who doesn’t have any. What can you get from here if she has no assets to seize?

This is a very good example of why I think third-party insurance should be mandatory for all car owners. If the other woman had done this her insurance company would be paying for your repairs, not you.

We heard of a case a few months ago when an uninsured car driver collided with a Range Rover causing P25,000 of damage. He then had to pay that bill for the Range Rover owner. But what would have happened if he’d completely destroyed the Range Rover? He would have faced a bill of maybe P1 million. How many of us can afford that?

Of course if you had a fully comprehensive insurance policy it would have covered your damage as well as any damage you ever cause to any other vehicles.

I wish I could give you some constructive advice. You can go to the Small Claims Court and seek an order against the other driver but it isn’t much use if there’s nothing she has to seize in compensation.

No comments: