Wednesday 19 June 2013

A reader comment

From a reader, quoted with permission.
"Hi Team CW,

I am an avid reader of your column and I always take your advice to heart, especially about the endless scams and schemers that are always waiting to pounce on gullible and innocent people (or maybe not-so-innocent, after all fore-warned is fore-armed).

It's great thanks to you that I am always able to spot a scam from a mile away. A few days ago I received a text message on my mobile that I had won a cool £200,000 and to claim my price by sending an email to some address that was stated in the text (copy of which is below).

"Your Mobile NO has won 200,000 Pounds in the ongoing NOKIA-UK-PROMO, REF:NK901. For claim send REF MOBILE to email: nokiaint@live.co.uk OR CALL +447035929946"

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that I am currently unemployed and finances are a bit tight. However, as much as I (definitely) wouldn't mind a tidy sum of £200k sitting pretty in my bank account, I knew better than to dignify this random, phishing expedition with a response. And what's more, my handset is not even a Nokia, so there you have it. I used to feel sorry for people mentioned in your articles who had been conned out of their hard earned money because they fell for promises of instant riches, but now I just laugh because it seems to be the same people over and over again; when are they going to learn????

People. Just. Don't. Listen.

Even when the obvious is staring them in the face. I have worked in banks for most of my career and I can tell you now I have yet to see any bank customer realise the kind of returns promised by scams such Eurextrade in such a short amount of time, and it amazes me how the majority of the people who are taken in by these scams/schemers are highly educated people. The police are always warning the public to beware (through their tv drama Itshireletse) and so are you at Consumer Watchdog, from way back before the police made their tv production but do we take heed? NO, NO, NO!

I just wish more people would start paying attention to the advise you put out there and safeguard not only their finances but themselves as well. Kudos to you all at Consumer Watchdog team for the wonderful service you're rendering to us consumers and the public, for FREE."
I'm touched.

No comments: