Saturday 24 August 2024

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Can I cancel the contract?

I am currently outside the country but I am coming back in 2 days. I want to buy a washing machine on hire purchase furniture. It is my first time using hire purchase. I had discussions with a salesman I usually buy from. There machine was advertised at P6,999 cash and P8,799 for 30 months. I paid deposit and I was to collect the machine next week Wednesday. Now he sent me an invoice now I have to pay P16,802. They say its insurance cost but they did not include it on the advertisement and they did not mention it to me throughout all our discussions.

i was wondering if its even legal to do this. I haven't asked for my refund yet. I will let you know if they refuse.


I think this is a very good example of how expensive hire purchase can be. Something that's on sale for a cash price of P6,999 can cost more than twice that amount if you buy it on hire purchase. In this case it's more than 2½ times the cash price which you'll pay for 2½ years.

However, in your case that's not the issue. You were sold a deal that offered you the item for much less than this total amount. Clearly that's wrong. But was it a mistake or was someone trying to deceive you?

Either way, it's very important that you tell them that the deal is cancelled and you will not be continuing with it. If necessary, tell that that Section 7 of the Consumer Protection Act says that if products are "are not availed as advertised, the consumer shall have the right to cancel the contract" and that if this happens, "the supplier shall refund the consumer the amount paid". It's very important that you ensure they understand this and that you won't be changing your mind.

We should both also alert the store to this mistake or possible deception. They need to investigate and take action. If this happened to you, perhaps it's happening to other consumers as well?

Most importantly, this deal needs to be cancelled.

Update: The deal was cancelled.

Where's my watch?

I ordered items online from China and the package was delivered today by the shipping company and unfortunately a smartwatch is missing in the package. They claim that the watch (battery items) was removed at the Chinese airport due to license expiry issues but I was never informed of this development but instead I received a very high duty charge from them who I believe was made higher by the electronic device. They right away initiated to compensate me for the smartwatch which is alarming anyway.

My issue is I want the watch but they claim that it's not their fault. They went back to the company in China and I've already informed them that my package has a missing item. Online the watch is still available for sale to clients. Would they continue availing an item that keeps being removed by customs due to licensing issues or did the shipping company took my watch for their personal use and are rushing to compensate me?

I really need your help, because of the costs I experienced just so I can get the watch here. If they refund me, help me get the watch duty fee at least.


I think the best thing to do here is to accept the suggestion of a refund for the watch and compensation for any shipping costs and for the duty fee. I'll contact them for you as well and make sure they understand what they need to do.

I know it's frustrating that you can't get the watch, but I think it's best to take the money instead.

No comments: