Saturday 13 May 2023

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Can they repair it?

Good day Sir, may I kindly ask for your advice.

I bought a wedding tent for P19 000 at a shop in Rail Park Mall. The first pitch was in February 2023 in Molepolole and surprisingly about 5 poles on the right side of the tent bended after a very light wind that lasted for at least 5 mins.

I confronted the manager at the shop about the issue and even sent pictures that the material they used for the poles is very weak. You can even break it with your own hands.

He said verbally to my husband that we are not the first customers to complain about it. He was then to consult the owner about the matter. Now his assistant offered to replace the poles and we refused because the problem is the weakness of the whole structure and its very risky to pitch such tent to customers. Imagine poles falling on people in a wedding.

Kindly assist us Sir because we are losing business as we don't have another tent to at least pitch.


As regular readers of The Voice will know, Section 15 (1) of the Consumer Protection Act says that a consumer:
"has the right to receive goods which are of good quality, in good working order and free of defects". 
I think that "good working order" means that a wedding tent shouldn't be damaged by a few minutes of light wind, don't you agree?

The next section of the Act says that if goods are faulty then the supplier can repair them, replace them or refund the consumer. However, I think this situation is slightly different. If these goods are so poorly made, can they really repair them? Are they going to replace the poles with ones made to a higher standard and with better material?

I think you should make it clear to the owner of the company that if they try to repair the tent, they better do it right, with much stronger materials and prove that it withstand the wind. Either that or you'll demand a better replacement or a complete refund.

Why must I pay for their mistake?

Hello sir, I have a concern and I need your help. I have a loan from my bank. We signed a 6 year contract in October 2020,and it started deducted on November but what they say is that it could have deducted immediately in October.

Now to my surprise they increased the loan instalment without even consulting me. I went to the bank and they said it's because my loan has arrears. So what I want to know is if a loan has arrears do you just increase the instalment without calling the customer and sit down to see how you can resolve it? And is it the customer's problem or mistake that the bank failed to deduct the instalment money immediately the loan was given to the customer?

They increased because they say I was in arrears and it affected my take home pay. It's very low and it have affected my work too because I can't be promoted because I am under paid or my take home pay is low.

It was their mistake, that's why I said they could have called us and arrange how to solve it BUT they just increased the instalment without consulting us.


I think this bank owes you an apology. If they delayed the beginning of the loan instalments to November instead of October it was their job to contact you, explain what happened, apologise to you and then help you come up with a plan. The obvious solution that anyone with a brain could have identified is just to reschedule your entire loan back by one month. Then everyone would have been happy.

I emailed the bank several times but haven't heard anything back from them yet. I won't give up.

No comments: