Saturday 6 May 2023

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Should I pay them?

I need your help. There is this waterproofing company that I saw on FB and decided to use their services since the roof of my house was leaking. I contacted them via Whatsapp and we agreed on a quotation for waterproofing the whole roof, transport inclusive. It was stated on the quotation that it is a 7 year guarantee job. They went and fixed my roof and I paid the full amount as per their quotation..

Now here is the problem, when the rain came the gentleman who was busy putting the ceiling realised that there was a leak, then we both decided we must call the waterproofing guys to come fix it again because it was still under guarantee. I tried on numerous attempts to get them to come, I was patient for close to a month but they then ended up ignoring my calls and texts. Then they claimed they have ran out of stock and that I must buy material and pay for fuel in order for their worker to get there and do the work, promising me a refund at a later stage. I refused asking why their company can't procure all those.

Fast forward, this past Friday I decided to call the company owner again, as always he did not answer, but he later sent me a message saying that he has been having transport challenges and that if I organise transport he will send somebody to go and do the work. I did exactly that and the guy went there and got the leaks fixed.

About an hour later I got a call from the his boss, telling me that he got a report that the leak was caused by cracks on the wall and that I must send payment for what they did today, mind you the gentleman never discussed it with me before doing the job. No agreement whatsoever was made that I will have to do another payment, they didn't even tell me that the leak had nothing to do with their waterproofing as they claim.

Now my question is should I pay him? The owner even threatened to drive there and remove the rubber seal they did today if I do not pay.


There is only one way to deal with bullies. Stand up to them and don't ever give in to their bullying tactics. If I was in your position I would contact the boss and make It clear to him that he may not enter your premises without your permission and if he or his agents do so you'll call the Police and have them charged with trespass and theft. Also, I would remind him that his company offered you a 7-year warranty and that any repairs are therefore his to pay for.

Please don't allow a bully like this to behave this way.

Have they done enough?

My car is at a repair shop at the moment after being involved in an accident about a month ago. I was notified that the car was ready for collection and went to the repair shop to assess the repairs.

I did not sign the repair order as there were several things that I was not satisfied with. There was a list of parts that were to be replaced with new, but upon assessment the parts were just cleaned and reinstalled.
I voiced my concerns to the managing director. He declined my request to reinspect the car with him and promised to investigate the issue and rectify any mistake if any.

I have also notified the insurance company about the issue and they have notified the repair shop that they will send an assessor tomorrow to do a post assessment of the vehicle and revert back to me.

I believe a lot of car owners could learn a lot from the outcome of this matter. Perhaps in future it could be discussed in the forums. I sense this is akin to medical aid issues that are at times raised by clients.


I wish more consumers were like you. Firstly you had vehicle insurance that covers the costs of all these repairs. Secondly you're the type who inspects things before accepting them. Third, you ask questions, politely demand explanations and then escalate to experts when necessary. Finally you're a person who doesn't give up. You should give lessons to consumers on how to stand up for their rights.

Let's see what the insurance assessor says but it certainly looks like this repair shop likes to cut corners and then try to avoid the consequences. Maybe they'll learn a lesson from you too?

No comments: