Saturday 4 July 2020

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Must I pay him?

Can you advice me here. I hope you know a motshelo called GDN, where by you join with P450, then bring 2 people. I joined that motshelo, and my upliner recruited someone, and that person joined under me. He sends me the joining fee on my orange money account, and immediately after that man joined it was stopped here in Botswana, so out of the blue he called me saying that I owe him and he wants his money which he invested in GDN. I told him that thing was stopped last year and all of us didn't benefit from it and as we are speaking I don't have money, I am not working, now he is threatening me every day. I don't know what to do. I even asked him to talk to the one who recruited him but he us refusing saying he gave me the money and not the person who recruited me so he wants his money from me.

He also said he wants his money with interest which I don't know how much because with this GDN as you join the system will automatically tell you who u should give the money to then that person will give to the next one until you reach the last person up.

So sir in this issue what advice can you give me, thank you in advance.


Unfortunately, this is a difficult situation. For those who don’t remember, GDN was a classic pyramid scheme that operated for a few months in 2019.


The people promoting it were very clear that there were no products being bought or sold, it was just about making money from recruiting other people.


As readers of The Voice will know by now, Section 9 of the Consumer Protection Act says that a business is a pyramid scheme if money is made ‘primarily’ from the recruitment of other people rather than buying and selling things. GDN was a perfect example of that.


Your difficulty is that even though you didn’t personally recruit this guy into GDN, you took his money. The only record of him paying to join GDN is money going to YOUR account, not to the person who was the one who recruited him. I can see why he wants the money back from you. However, I think you were as much of a victim as he was. You both joined a scheme you felt would make you some money, obvious mistakenly.


The other news for you is that not only were you both victims, you were also perpetrators. You both joined an obvious pyramid scheme, something that is illegal in Botswana. The same section of the Consumer Protection Act which defines a pyramid scheme also make it illegal just to join such a scheme, not just to promote it. I think you should remind him of this. Maybe he’ll learn that like everyone that joins a scam like GDN, everyone loses.

Where’s my album?

In 2019 I got a quotation for photography for my wedding which I agreed to and paid P5,000 full payment in July 2019 2 months in advance. My wedding was in September 2019 and they came and took pictures as agreed. I have only received the soft copies and the video. The photo album which was part of the package I still have not received to this day! I have been very patient and talking to them as much as I can about it but I always get told Monday or next week, but nothing happens. My calls get ignored and texts are not being replied. I have paid and I deserve to receive the goods that I paid for. It has been 9 months since my wedding. I really don’t understand why I should still be waiting for something I paid for almost a year ago!

Please let me know what I can do to get what I paid for or if there's anyway you can help. I'm desperate. Thank you.


Yet again someone has been let down by a company in the wedding industry. What is it with the people we pay to help us make a memorable, perhaps once-on-a-lifetime event? Why do we receive so many complaints about photographers, caterers, cake-bakers, designers and almost every type of wedding supplier. It’s a constant surprise to me that so many of them don’t give a damn.

However, there’s good news in your case. I contacted this photographer and he told me that there was “a miscommunication” and that your album will be delivered within days.

Let’s hope he can be trusted?

UPDATE: No news yet on the missing wedding photo album.

No comments: