Sunday 30 June 2019

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Where’s my phone?

I think I am being scammed by a phone repair shop. Two months ago I began having WiFi connectivity issues on my otherwise fully functional and pristine iPhone 7. I went to a few repair shops to look at it and many did not know what the problem was until I found a repair shop in the Rail Park area.

I was told it was an antenna issue which could be fixed for P450, so I left my phone and returned the following day, but when I returned I was told it was not an antenna issue and instead it would cost P2,000 to replace the logic board. I asked for my phone back while I considered what they told me, but upon receiving my phone, it was not fully functional anymore and the camera was not working. I returned the phone to them thinking they did not re-assemble it correctly, instead they told me they needed to order a new camera part, and it was not just a matter of re-assembly. I left the phone with them to fix as I waited for the camera part and I was supposed to be called when it was ready. After several weeks went by I called asking about my phone, but I was told it still isn't ready.

To make matters worse, they are now claiming that the display is also not functioning and they need to order a new display too. Meaning on top of the previous damage to the camera they had caused, they have now also damaged the screen too according to them.

They won't give me my phone back, they won't let me go to another repair shop and my iPhone has now been held by them for 2 months with no sign I'll get it back anytime soon. Things are getting worse, they keep giving me different stories that don't add up, and recently they have been very elusive and have been ignoring my phone calls. I was supposed to pick my phone on Saturday but they have ignored my calls since Friday. Please may you advise me on how I can move forward with this issue. I have considered going to the police to report this scam, but I'm not really sure what my options are to solve this. I appreciate any advice you can give me.


Firstly, I’m not sure the Police can assist you, there’s no evidence at this stage that they’ve done anything criminal, it’s more a case of incompetence I suspect.

I think we’ll remind the manager of this store that Section 15 (1) (a) of Consumer Protection Regulations requires a supplier of goods or services like them to offer services “with reasonable care and skill”. We can’t expect miracles from someone repairing a phone but you can expect them not to break it and then refuse to give it back to you.

I’ll get in touch with the store and see what can be done.

Update: You’ll have your phone back tomorrow, repaired for free.

Why won’t they fix it?

In April 2019 we paid a company to install an aircon in one of our office. The job was done but we have since encountered challenges with the new air corn as it does not work. The company has since been called to come and address the issue to this day they have not shown up. when called is either they don't answer our calls or they make promises to come and fix the problem of which they never fulfil. Please assist.


I think you deserve exactly the same answer as the previous consumer. The phrase “with reasonable care and skill” does seem to be rather confusing for some service providers, don’t you think? Is it really that complicated?

I contacted the supplier and he told me that “I did install it and it's been working fine and they told me end of May it's not working fine. so we didn't have any guarantee or wats so ever. so it's not my fault that it doesn't work fine. it's a charge sir”

No, that’s NOT how things work. The Consumer Protection Regulations describe the "implied warranty of merchantability and fitness for use" that exists when something is sold. That exists to protect us all and it only disappears if the customer agrees to waive that right. You clearly did NOT so it’s still there.

Why do some suppliers try to make life so complicated?

No comments: