Saturday 19 October 2024

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Scam Alert – a delivery scam

We've heard from several people recently who were scammed after they received notifications about shipments that were to be delivered to them. Unfortunately, several of these people then lost a lot of money to the scammers who sent these messages. It's important that we all understand how these scams work so we can protect ourselves and also help educate the people we care about so they don't fall victim as well.

The scam begins with a text message alerting the recipient to a package that's waiting for them. 


In order to receive this package they are invited to click on a link in the message and then pay a very small amount to have the package released. In many cases, it's just over P4. However, this is a lie, it's just the beginning of a much more complicated process. If you click on the link (you shouldn't) you're directed to a website that looks very much like that of a legitimate shipping company.



The one I received linked to what appeared to be the website of Botswana Post. It led me through a series of screens in which I was asked to enter my personal information including my address and contact details.


Finally I was taken to another screen where I was asked to enter my bank card details. This included the card number, expiry date and the CVV code that is used to prove my identity. 


Obviously I used fake details but I was impressed by how professional the screens looked. The moment I entered the last digit of my fake CVV code the screen went blank and I was returned to the Google welcome page. You can bet that within moments, the scammers will have used my card details to spend my money. I spoke to a victim who had then received an OTP which, unfortunately for her, she handed over to the scammers, still believing that it would lead to the delivery of a package. She lost over P7,000 and another victim I heard from lost more than P18,000. 

The bad news is that if you fall victim to a scam like this your money will quickly disappear forever and your bank isn't going to be any help. It's not their fault that you voluntarily gave criminals your banking details. They'll wash their hands of you.

The solution is simple. Please, never click on a link in an email unless you are 100% certain it's genuine. If you have any doubt, don't click on it. You can save yourself a LOT of money, hardship and distress. Please spread the word to everyone you know never to fall victim to a scam like this.

Can't they cancel the policy?

I'm a government employee and in July I tried to get a life cover from an insurance company because I wanted to get a loan. When I got to the bank they said they couldn't help me with the insurance since it was going to start working after 12 months. I then decided to cancel the cover and do it when I'm ready again. I contacted those who were helping with the paperwork and told them that I would no longer need their life cover so they should cancel it. They came to my workplace then gave me a form to sign that I no longer want the cover. This was around the 14th July. To my surprise end of September I received my pay slip and they had deducted. Just yesterday I received another one for October and they have also deducted. I tried asking the person who was helping me why are they deducting but he is not answering to any of my text.

Could you please help? Is it OK for them to be deducting when I had long signed that I don't need their services?


No, this is certainly not OK. The rules set by NBFIRA are very clear. There is a mandatory cooling off period within which you can change your mind and cancel an insurance policy. Clearly, this insurance company has either ignored this or they've failed to update their records in time. Either way, it's their job to fix this problem, to refund you the amount they've already deducted and then make sure that no further deductions take place. If I was in your position, I would also demand a letter from them confirming that the policy was cancelled.

I think we should both contact this insurance company to make sure they understand what you need them to do.

No comments: