Saturday 19 October 2019

The Voice - Consumer's Voice

Can’t they delist me?

I would like you to intervene and speak to my bank management on my behalf to leniently remove me from ITC judgement listing. I took a loan in 2012 while employed as a soldier by Botswana Defence Force and resigned the following year. However plans did not go accordingly upon my next move and I was left jobless with debts hanging over me. I explained to the credit team about my situation but they insisted that despite that I should pay as per our loan agreement contract. I did struggle to pay while I was still looking for a job and trying out business until I began to pay P500 monthly through their lawyers.

Fast forward this year I managed to settle all the loan fees I owed so that I can start over my life with CEDA finance to venture into transport business but the main issue is CEDA can only finance me when I am removed because it sets a bad credit record to me, mind you I do not qualify for any bank loan since banks do not finance start up businesses and CEDA is the only financial lending institution that can assist me with finance.

I am aware that I was at fault as per loan agreement and do respect the bank policies but as a person, a single father to a 3 year old pre school going daughter my future and business is at a halt because of the ITC listing, it is also hindering me from adding value to Botswana's economy by providing service and employment to the unemployed as well as to raising my daughter as a responsible father.

I am kindly appealing to you to speak and plead to the CEO to leniently remove me from the ITC listing because the matter has been addressed to Head of Credit, Head of Legal, Head of Customer Care.


Unfortunately, this isn’t how listings with credit reference bureaux work. While your debt was still outstanding, the bank was right to list you with their bureau of choice. That’s because the debt was real and you still owed them the money. Unfortunately, that listing doesn’t automatically disappear when you settle the debt. My understanding is that the listing remains online for two years after settlement. That’s because it’s true that you were in debt and other potential lenders are entitled to know about your recent history. Think about it from the lender’s position. They want to know as much as possible about your financial history before they take a risk on you.


I suggest that you rethink your plans to develop your business. Take a pause, do some more research and think about what lessons you can learn from your last attempt. Then you can apply again when the listing is finally removed.

Where’s my refund?

Please I need your help. I bought a bedroom suit early this year from a store in Mahalapye. The agreement was my goods would be delivered in Maun but the goods never reached Maun and the managers kept on telling me that they will deliver the goods. Finally we came into agreement 3 months ago that they would refund me. My main complaint is that the keep on promising to give back the money and now is 3 months. What can I do? Thank you.


Section 15 (1) (e) of the Consumer Protection Regulations says that when an agreement is “rescinded, cancelled, or otherwise terminated in accordance with the terms of an agreement” then the supplier must “promptly restore” any “deposit, down payment or other payment” that was made. The Regulations don’t say exactly how long “promptly” might be, but I think we can all agree that three months is not in any way prompt. Taking three months to repay your money is either incompetent or a deliberate attempt to keep your money. Either way, it’s not good enough and it’s time you escalated the matter. I suggest that you tell this company that you will be going to the Small Claims Court and asking for an order against them for the money you paid unless you get your money back within a week.

Send me their contact details and I’ll also get in touch with them and let them know how serious you are.

No comments: