Wednesday 5 November 2014

Another romantic advance fee scam

Here we go again. Another scam victim.

It's the same old story, a woman is befriended on Facebook by a guy who turns out not to be what he claims. She told us:
The stolen picture that the scammer used. 
"I have been dating this other guy from Bradford, UK we met on facebook so a few weeks passed. He told me he want to send me a necklace then on the 4th October he sent me mail telling me that he had sent me a package with jewellery, perfumes, handbags and some amounts of money. He even gave me the website for the courier company, invoice number and tracking number. I started tracking then I found out the package was now in Ghana from Uk. The lady called me to tell me that she is my agent so should send money through western union for clearing at customs then I sent after that she wanted me to send for insurance now she wants me to send for anti terourism certicate."
Unfortunately this was when she first became suspicious. Too late for her, she had already sent them P11,000.

This is the email she received from the "agent" who demanded the money from her:
SOCIAL DELIVERY COMPANY(SDC)
69 Dr. Isert Street, North Ridge
P.O. Box M.27, Accra Ghana

06 October 2014
Delivery Address: PO box [removed] Gaborone, Botswana.
Plot [removed], Gaborone.
ORDER NUMBER: HES/ WFD /2014 ( GHANA ).
Invoice no: 1009554
Tracking no: 122244460342
SENT BY: [removed]
AWAITING CLEARANCE IN GHANA CUSTOM
Attention: [removed]

With reference to the delivery of your package, I wish to bring to your notice that your package has been placed on hold by the Ghana customs for some reasons which happened to violates the shipping policies. As the goods arrived Ghana custom check point, the Ghana custom detected that currency were included in your parcel.Thereby, certain commissions must be paid as customs duty via us which is for the immediate clearance of your package.

For the main time reference of tracking on the "status" of your package is pending this is in accordance to the mode of operations in the Courier sector for financial delivery. We have already taken order number for this package from the custom. You are required to follow all instructions giving to you to facilitate the release of your package.

To do this, you are required to pay the required charges listed below for the immediate release of your package. Upon confirmation of payment, your package will be delivered to your designated address above under few hours.

Administrative ........................500
Clearance..............................1650
TOTAL = 2,150 usd

A total of 2,150 (Two thousand one hundred and fifty dollars). Only has been charge. In acknowledgment to this email, account details shall be provided to you for the payment as stated above for the release of your package.

Thank you, as I hope I have made myself clear to you by this notice as directed by the management. contact our head office For more inquiry call: +447034270671 FAX: +4472 2108789 067 Email: sdccurirserce@hotmail.co.uk [Click the link to send the scammer an email!]

Present your order number when calling so that we may honor your calls. We are glad to be of service to you.
Yours Faithfully.
Mrs.Grace Campbell
PS SOCIAL DELIVERY COMPANY(SDC)
Yes, the victim was naive and gullible and it's easy to dismiss her as foolish but let's not forget that she was lied to by an experienced scammer who exploited her feelings and abused her terribly.

It's too late for this particular victim because as you'll know, scammers don't ever offer refunds. The only thing we can do is spread the word and hope that other potential victims will be more skeptical than earlier victims.

No comments: