Friday 6 February 2009

The Voice - Dear Consumer's Voice

Dear Consumer’s Voice

I bought some shoes for my son from Options in Game City. My son was not with me, but I bought what I thought would be the right size. Unfortunately, they were too small so I took them back for a refund.

When I went back the next day, I explained that I wanted a refund as the shoes didn't fit my son. The manager said to me that the store doesn't give refunds and that I could only exchange the shoes for something else. I pointed to a sign that was posted there which stated clearly that the store gives refunds if product is brought back within seven days. He then told me that he didn't have the password for the cash register and that only the owner can do so and they were away for the holidays. He asked me to come back after the holidays. I told him that if I came back after the holidays, it would then be more than seven days from the purchase. I asked him to write down on the receipt that I did come on time and he told me to come back later. I even asked him to write his name.

When I went back after the holidays, I found the sign about their refund policy had been removed. There were still marks where it had been posted, but it was gone. As a result, they refused to give me a refund. Instead, I had to buy some other items, which I really didn't want. I don't know if the sign is back up again, but it seems the store went to great lengths to deny me a refund, which their policy clearly stated that I deserved!

It sounds like you’ve not been given the service you deserve. At least Options had a statement explaining their returns policy but it sounds very strange that it disappeared when you tried to exercise your rights and get a refund.

You were entitled to a refund, the law is really that simple. So long as the goods you bought hadn’t been extensively used or damaged you were entitled to get your money back. All that silliness about not having the password for the cash register is totally immaterial. That sort of thing usually suggests that a store doesn’t want to help you.

Despite being forced to choose a different product to replace the shoes I think you should write to Options and demand they do something better to make you a happy customer again. Let us know what they say for themselves.

No comments: